Beginning February 2018, Tenon began performing long-term research into patterns of accessibility on the web. Researching 21868 unique domains (so far), we've gathered information on 8888 technologies. We have categorized each technology into 191 distinct categories and 25 distinct vertical markets. The goal of this research is to determine what, if any, patterns exist in the data that can be used to predict the level of accessibility when those technologies are in use. We hope to answer questions like:
- What technologies are correlated with the most/ least accessibility issues?
- What type(s) of accessibility issues are correlated with specific technologies?
- How does each technology perform against others in the same category?
- Which vertical markets have the highest rates of error?
One of the more significant challenges in this type of research - beyond What can be tested and how - is that correlation does not imply causation. The existence of patterns that are correlated to specific error rates for a technology is not necessarily an indictment of that technology. Issues correlated to a specific technology may reside in its version, implementation, or configuration. We hope that ongoing data collection will allow us to gather enough data that the influences of such variations can be reduced.
This data gathering is a permanent ongoing process happening 24-7-365 using our own data sources as well as the logs from users who have consented to allowing us to gather anonymous stats. To date, we have analyzed 21933 logs for this data.
This data is not yet ready to be used to draw any inferences.At the time of this writing there are approximately 1.3 billion websites on the Web. With that sample size, we would need to analyze 16,641 unique domains to have a 99% confidence level and confidence interval of 1. Given the extreme amount of variability in the data, we will not consider this data to be useful until we have analyzed at least 50,000 domains. Until then, regard this information as unreliable.
|Total Logs Analyzed||21933|
|Total Distinct Domains||21868|
|Total Distinct Technologies||8888|
|Total Distinct Categories||191|
|Total Distinct Verticals||25|
|Average Alexa Rank||52260|
|Average Quantcast Rank||63228|
|Average errors per page||44|
|Average warnings per page||44|
|Average density per page||106|
|Average tests failing per page||6|
|Average level A errors per page||46|
|Average level AA errors per page||1|
|Average level AAA errors per page||18|
|Percent of pages error-free||6|
The overall goal of this ongoing research is to determine the role that certain technologies play in accessibility. Right now we are gathering data on 8888 technologies. That number isn't expected to increase too significantly, however we also track their popularity. Each time we see the technology we are also increasing the sample size.
Many of the technologies we track are unlikely to have a direct accessibility impact. We find the following technologies particularly interesting, from an accessibility perspective.
- Adobe Experience Manager (Seen 677 times)
- Angular JS (Seen 6263 times)
- ASP.NET (Seen 22348 times)
- CKEditor (Seen 4917 times)
- Classic ASP (Seen 1897 times)
- Demandware (Seen 200 times)
- Dojo Toolkit (Seen 2576 times)
- Drupal (Seen 5395 times)
- Drupal Commerce (Seen 116 times)
- Ektron (Seen 251 times)
- Ektron Ecommerce (Seen 167 times)
- Ember (Seen 249 times)
- Endeca (Seen 212 times)
- Genesis Framework (Seen 445 times)
- Handlebars (Seen 3130 times)
- JetPack (Seen 3035 times)
- jQuery (Seen 40061 times)
- Kendo UI (Seen 141 times)
- Kentico (Seen 209 times)
- KineticJS (Seen 115 times)
- KnockoutJS (Seen 5030 times)
- Magento (Seen 721 times)
- Microsoft Frontpage (Seen 389 times)
- Moodle (Seen 326 times)
- Perl (Seen 1867 times)
- PHP (Seen 36993 times)
- Python (Seen 776 times)
- React (Seen 1429 times)
- Ruby on Rails (Seen 5704 times)
- Shopify (Seen 538 times)
- Sitecore CMS (Seen 420 times)
- Telerik Sitefinity (Seen 174 times)
- Tiny MCE (Seen 608 times)
- Visual Studio (Seen 1037 times)
- WooCommerce (Seen 1523 times)
- WordPress (Seen 25935 times)
- Yahoo Small Business (Seen 18793 times)
- Zope (Seen 169 times)